Statement in Support for the Ten Principles of the UN Global Compact
Old Mutual is fully committed to making the UN Global Compact and its principles part of our strategy, culture and day-to-day operations. This includes engaging in collaborative projects which advance the broader development goals of the United Nations, particularly the Sustainable Development Goals. We will communicate our progress on an annual basis covering the following key areas: Human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption.
The Ten UN Global Compact Principles are as follows:
- Businesses should support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights.
- Businesses should make sure that they are not complicit in human rights abuses.
- Businesses should uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining.
- Business should uphold the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour.
- Businesses should uphold the effective abolition of child labour.
- Businesses should uphold the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
- Businesses should support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges.
- Businesses should undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility.
- Businesses should encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
- Businesses should work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery.